Skylight (https://skylight.digital/) is at the forefront of a civic movement to reinvent how the government serves the public in a digital world.
We’re looking for a Software Engineer to join our talented team of technologists in driving this movement forward.
You’ll be a key part of our small, but rapidly growing team, which consists of former Presidential Innovation Fellows, founders of 18F, and members of the U.S. Digital Service.
We work in small, fast, agile teams to create exceptional customer experiences and enduring solutions out of the government’s most complex design and technology challenges. The work is challenging but highly rewarding.
We focus on supporting you in a variety of ways:
- Competitive salary
- Opportunities for an economic stake in the company's success
- Performance bonuses, referral bonuses, publication bonuses, and public speaking bonuses
- Medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, dependent care FSA, healthcare FSA, and health savings account
- Dollar-for-dollar 401(k) match up to 10% of your salary
- Flexible paid-time-off policy (minimum of 29 days), which covers any type of leave (such as holiday, sick, and vacation) that you need or want to take
- Minimum of 9 weeks paid time off for all eligible new birth, adoption, or foster parents
- Annual $2,000 professional development allowance
- Annual budget of up to $750 for tech-related purchases
- Access up to $1,000 before payday to cover emergency expenses
- Incentives for living in a HUBZone area (https://maps.certify.sba.gov/hubzone/map), including relocation assistance and a monthly stipend to help offset the cost of rent or mortgage
- Dollar-for-dollar charity donation matching, up to $500 per year
- Remote-friendly work environment
- An environment that empowers you to unleash your superpowers for public good
- We participate in E-Verify and upon hire, will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
- We're an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.
Skills & requirements
What you’ll do:
- Develop SDKs, libraries, and widgets to create a mobile application development platform to make it easier and faster for the U.S. Air Force to develop great native mobile applications
- Build native mobile applications that improve the quality of life for members of the U.S. Air Force
- Work as part of a cross-functional team, which includes user experience researchers and designers, product managers, back-end engineers, and other functional specialists
- Achieve technical excellence by advocating for and adhering to lean-agile engineering principles and practices such as API-first design, simple design, DevOps, continuous integration, version control, and automated testing
- Select and use the right tools, frameworks, languages, and technologies for the job, with a preference for open-source solutions
- Analyze systems to identify technical debt, instability, unreliability, and other opportunities for improvement, and design, document, and communicate solutions
- Represent Skylight's culture of delivery when interacting with government stakeholders and other contractors
What we’re looking for:
- Experience with the full lifecycle of shipping iOS and Android applications
- Experience with Kotlin, Swift/Objective-C, React Native, or Flutter
- Experience in using mobile design patterns, building mobile frameworks/SDKs, and building custom widgets
- Expertise creating and consuming APIs and libraries
- Expertise using version control systems such as Git, and with using CI/CD tools for mobile development
- Ability to author developer-friendly documentation such as API documentation and deployment instructions
- Proven ability to apply good software engineering principles and practices
- Ability to select and use the best tools for the job, particularly open-source solutions
- Ability to communicate clearly to technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience working within a multidisciplinary, agile team
- A mindset and work approach that aligns with our core values (https://skylight.digital/culture/)
- Ability to travel from time to time (when it's safe)