We are seeking a full-time Senior Software Engineer to join our Engineering Team to help build products that support the Achievement Network’s (ANet) mission. The ideal candidate will be passionate about cutting-edge development and best practices. Reporting to the Director of Engineering, this person will play a key role in crafting and implementing our technology vision for the organization.
Proximity to the New England area and eastern time zone is preferable given occasional travel to Boston will be necessary.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Play a key role as an individual contributor in designing and implementing sustainable code for substantial features and/or sections of code
- Implement ANet’s next generation of technology products that support data-driven educational practices and help to close the achievement gap in the underserved communities we partner with
- Create, monitor and deliver against the product road map and corresponding release cycles (as negotiated with the Product Management Team)
- Provide strategic leadership in setting goals and measuring progress in RESTful server-side APIs and/or agile, componentized client-side code
- Keep abreast of new technologies and propose adoption as appropriate
- Mentor and support the development of junior developers as appropriate
- Actively embrace and model best practices such as code reviews, unit testing, and planning/scoping/vetting larger features
- Proactively look for ways to build our team through individual contributions which help us improve code quality, team culture, and team velocity
WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU BRING
In order to be successful in this role, candidates must demonstrate the following:
- You bring direct experience implementing, delivering, and maintaining high quality consumer-facing web applications using
- Java and/or Go programming languages
- RESTful Web Services
- Software-as-a-service (SaaS) and Service-oriented architecture (SOA)
- CI/CD tools such as CircleCI to automate software builds, tests, and deployments
- You are an exceptional individual contributor. You like coding, collaborating, giving peer feedback.
- You have experience and a history of successfully collaborating with and mentoring other developers remotely
- You are a team player who motivates and educates colleagues; you enjoy working in a highly collaborative culture and value process that creates consistent, sustainable solutions across applications and sub-teams.
- You are skilled in working closely with business partners to build technology solutions that meet the usability and functional needs of both internal and external users.
- You operate comfortably among a highly independent staff with diverse backgrounds.
- You bring an innovative approach to analyze, evaluate and solve problems.
- You have a passionate commitment to and a sense of urgency for the support of schools, along with a belief that all students can achieve at high levels.
- You are motivated by working in an environment where we live out our core values daily and are eager to examine personal archetypes and biases while discussing topics related to race, class, and privilege which relate to ANet’s Advance Equity and People Matter values.
Ideal candidates may also demonstrate the following preferred qualifications:
- 4+ years of software development experience, including at least one year of experience in a high-scale enterprise environment
- Experience on a mid-sized team where coordination and team review of best practices and pattern reuse is required.
- Experience with AWS features and how to manage them responsibly
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related degree
HOW TO APPLY
- We are now accepting applications for this position, which will be reviewed on a rolling basis. To apply, please click on the “Apply” button. You will then be prompted to complete a brief application and upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter in which you outline why you are interested in working for ANet and how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position.
WHAT WE OFFER
- ANet offers highly competitive compensation based on prior experience and qualifications as well as comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer include: health, dental and vision insurance where ANet pays 80% of the cost of these benefits for employees and their families/domestic partner; 3 weeks of vacation (4 weeks after two years with ANet); 10 paid holidays with paid days off between the Christmas and New Year’s holidays; a paid floating holiday; paid sick & personal days; paid parental leave; retirement plan options; commuter benefits; tuition reimbursement; flexible spending accounts; short and long-term disability coverage; and basic life and personal accident insurance.
- ANet is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.