We are looking for an engineer with a “find a way or make a way” attitude that is excited to join a small but growing team that has more projects than developers. This opportunity is for someone excited for autonomy, ownership, and breadth of responsibility.
Our environment is typical of a start-up:
- We work in small teams, fast-paced, we all get a lot done by everyone wearing many hats.
- We are serious about optimizing our time and staying focused on the most important goals and outcomes.
- We are a remote team and are completely on board with 100% remote work, meaning we focus on over-communication to ensure we can stay in sync despite our physical distance.
- We coordinate using a kanban board, hold a daily standup, and mostly communicate via ad hoc video calls and Slack.
- We’re building lots of new things, but also maintaining a significant business. We are mindful of the balance and need to monitor and pay down tech debt and also innovate with exciting greenfield projects.
- Our retail application is a frontend-heavy PWA written in NodeJS and React, containerized via Docker, and Deployed via Kubernetes. We also make heavy use of Parse Server, which provides an API to the MongoDB via REST and GraphQL endpoints.
Build something challenging
- This isn't just another CRUD application. Your challenge will be to deliver a highly-available service with complex business logic being used by hundreds of businesses 24/7 to keep their operations running. Our entity model is vast and a major part of our domain is synchronizing data with third party traceability systems. Explore the limits of your resourcefulness by designing human and automated systems that deliver consistent performance, reliability and scale whilst working with less-than-ideal third-party requirements and systems.
See if you fit our requirements
For this role, we are looking for someone with the following characteristics:
- 5-10 years experience working in back-end applications
- 5-10 years experience working with front-end applications
- Deep Familiarity with Node JS and Express
- Familiarity with GraphQL
- Familiarity with Docker and containerized orchestration in a cloud environment. Bonus for experience with Kubernetes and Google Cloud (Google Kubernetes Engine).
- Familiarity with PWA best practices
- Familiarity with ES6 & ReactJS
- Bonus for experience working in a fast paced / high-expectations startup environment
- Ability to acutely focus on company objectives and mission at hand.
- Proven dedication to creating maintainable, functional, and reliable systems.
- Ability to pass a background check; have appropriate work authorization
- Extremely articulate communicator in all virtual mediums.
- An eye for design, detail, and user experience
- Familiarity with GIT branching models, CI pipelines, and related workflows.
Your Mission & Responsibilities:
- Architect, plan and build new features, ranging from discussing wireframes to creating the data model to architecting deployment processes.
- Contribute to maintaining and building out robustness of our Core implementation.
- Contribute to our engineering culture by designing and developing with intention as well as our focus on continuous improvement.
- Advise, mentor and lead other full time engineers and contractors on projects, small to large, from start to finish.
- Technical Planning (Spec writing etc.)
- Technical Estimation & Delegation
- Team Evaluation / Process (Retros, grooming, velocity management etc.)
- Implementing company technical initiatives (Jira, GQL, Apollo, Sentry error policies)
- Accountability for team & product performance
Contributing to technical & product direction
- Ensuring high availability of retail services for our customers
- Assist with deployments and infrastructure architecture/orchestration.
To achieve our mission, we always look for high-caliber people who share our core values:
- Value-Driven: Above all else, we are concerned with driving value to customers and partners through over-delivering on the benefits we’ve promised them.
- Grit: We are resilient marathoners who finish what they start and love tackling problems of all sizes. We take critical feedback and push through to get the job done.
- Rigor: We are data driven, analytical and exhaustive in decision making. We take in the evidence, integrate information from multiple sources quickly, draw conclusions and take actions - quickly.
- Collaboration: We leave our egos at home, we challenge each other and we work together to find the best solutions, every day, day in and day out.
- Accountability: We sign up for the hard stuff and take ownership to see it through. We make lemonade out of lemons when we have to and don’t let attitude get in the way of getting it done.
- Curiosity: Most of us dork out over non-work related topics at a ridiculous level of detail, because that’s how we’re wired. We’re naturally inquisitive, ask tough questions and aren’t afraid to ruffle feathers to find better answers.
- Honesty: We’re transparent and honest because that’s the right way to treat other people. Integrity is the basis of trust, and trust is everything when you’re creating the future together.
- We are a fully remote company and this position will be remote.
- We are looking for someone who is ready to join us full-time after a brief trial period (all our employees do this).
- We offer health benefits, 401k, unlimited time off, charity matching, and other cool perks.
- We are offering an annual salary in the range of $140,000 - $150,000 USD.