As a Senior Backend Engineer at All Turtles, you’ll work as part of a small cross-functional team of designers and engineers to create new products from scratch. While your day-to-day responsibilities will focus on the development of backend APIs, systems, and infrastructure, you’ll also have the opportunity to contribute to the product definition and design, the overall system architecture, and the go-to-market plan.
You’re the right person for this job if you love to work on small, autonomous teams, take pride in the quality of both the code and products that you create, crave variety in your work, and are comfortable working in any part of the backend stack.
YOU WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR:
- Helping to set the technical direction for the service backend, including choosing the tech stack, defining the service architecture, and defining APIs.
- Driving the development of the backend, with an eye toward the security and privacy of user data and the scalability of the system.
- Building both quick prototypes and robust production systems.
- Planning and coordinating with application engineers who will be consuming your services.
- Deployment, operations, and monitoring of your services
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL HAVE:
- Spent at least 5 years in professional software engineering roles.
- Built complex product backends from scratch.
- Strong backend engineering skills, including security, scalability, and data engineering.
- Experience with a variety of programming languages (Java, Go, Node.js, etc) and databases (both SQL and NoSQL).
- Experience architecting for the cloud. We work on AWS, but any deep IaaS/PaaS experience is sufficient.
- Experience working on cross-functional teams including designers.
- Exceptional communication skills, with an aptitude to convey clear thoughts and ideas.
- A track record of delivering on ambitious goals.
- Worked in a startup environment. You’re comfortable with ambiguity and change.
- Experience with streaming video. This is a plus, but not required.
This is a full-time, permanent position reporting to our Head of Technology. This role can be based in any location. Since our distributed team works across US time zones, US-based applicants are preferred. We offer comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance to our employees and their dependents, as well as a suite of optional benefits and perks programs including parental leave and flexible PTO.